Thursday, May 10, 2007

For Just a Little While

As those of you have been reading these know, my step mom is facing a fight with cancer. I should rephrase that and say, cancer is facing a fight with my step mom. The woman is phenomenal. Her God is huge.

At her last appointment they drew blood. As the nurse prepared the needle she asked the normal question, "Do you have a hard time with needles?" My step mom smiled and simply said, "No, I don't. I have told myself ever since I was a little girl that the needle would only hurt for a little while and I can surely make it through a little while."

My step mom has been an anchor for my family. She is precious to us and we are scared. But, as I watched them draw the blood those words resonated in my heart, "It will only hurt for a little while, I can surely make it through a little while." I realized anew that no matter what happens in this situation, it will only hurt for a little while.


I do not write this as a platitude, a trite saying to sound spiritual. I write this because Jesus is true. I write this because in the midst of fear, in the midst of pain, in the midst of sadness there is hope because of Him. No matter what we face, those of us who are covered in the precious blood of Jesus Christ, those of us who are covered in His poured out love, have hope and hope does not disappoint (Rom 5:5).

I received a letter from my friend who recently lost a child during pregnancy. Since we share this experience she sent a poem to me she had written. She is very talented and the poem was beautiful, but the last line was tragic beyond my comprehension. It ended, "and this is a pain I will bare for eternity."

In the middle of reading it I cried out, "No. No it is not. Thank you, God, that it is not." I will bare no pain for eternity. My Sovereign God will wipe away death, He will wipe away my tears (Isa 25:8). There will be an ultimate healing and on that day I will not be taking any baggage with me. On that day the things of earth will not just be strangely dim. On that day the things of earth will be no more! On that day I will be home free. And that day, that beautiful day will happen in just a little while!

My heart hurts for those reading this who are facing their own needles, whatever those needles may be. However small your needle is, however big your needle is I wish you weren't facing it. Needles of any size hurt.

If your particular needle seems more than you can bear, please cling to the knowledge that because of the Cross of Jesus Christ, it will truly only hurt for a little while.

Oh, what a Great Hope. Let's live in it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment