Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Just Dumb?

Here is a question. Why did God choose sheep as the favorite animal analogy?

We've heard the , "Sheep are dumb, defenseless, and will wander right off a cliff" explanation but perhaps there is more.


For most of its history, Israel has been a group of herding nomads. Therefore, sheep have an important role in their society and their economy. Because of this, they knew their sheep. Sheep stuff made complete sense to them. Not so much for us. Most of our interactions with sheep come in the form of sweaters and an occasional petting zoo. For this reason, I decided to learn a few things about sheep, and let me tell you, the stuff I dug up is Fa-a-a-a-a-bbbbbbbbbbbulous. (Okay, I'll stop that.)

Sheep were changed dramatically when Shepherds began to herd and domesticate them. To begin, wild sheep had short ears that stood straight more like those of a Doberman Pinscher. Today, sheep ears point down. Also, most pre-domesticated sheep had horns. Today most do not. Lastly, the sheep of today are usually black or white while their wild ancestors were brown.

So the writer in me is asking, "Is there something I can shear (Alright, I'll really stop) and then share from these facts." Here's what I have come up with.  If God is my Shepherd and I am His Sheep, have I been changed by Him the way sheep have been changed by their interactions with man?

Ears that stand straight up are a great means of protection. It allows the sheep to hear what's coming. However, once the Shepherd came on the scene, the sheep had its protector. It simply began to graze and trust making pointy ears obsolete. So, have I done the same? Have I allowed my ears to droop, have I allowed myself to graze fully trusting that my Shepherd is in charge? Do I claim the words of Psalm 4:8, I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You Alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety, or do I nervously live with my ears at attention, with my mind and heart racing?

The horns of a sheep are a means of protection as well. However, the idea of a domesticated sheep ramming head long into any thing is a bit of a fallacy. Sheep get their horns caught on things more than they use them. In most cases, horns only come into play after a sheep has been caught. In order to escape a sheep will thrash its head back and forth thus making its horns a real danger. So I ask myself, 'Have MY horns become a tool I use less and less since meeting the Good Shepherd?' Do I listen to His voice and avoid the situations that will get me caught in the first place, or am I continually trotting into danger, in the end having to thrash back and forth in an attempt to escape? Am I one who believes that sin will lead to capture (James 1:15) or do I get "caught" at every turn.

Lastly, most domesticated sheep are white; the simple reason being white wool is much easier to dye and therefore more valuable to the owner. So again I ask myself 'Since knowing my Shepherd, have I allowed Him to change me in ways that make me more productive for His kingdom?' Make no mistake about it, because of His grace I am forever His sheep but have I surrendered the dark areas of my heart that keep me from producing? As a dearly loved sheep of the Shepherd is my fleece one of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience and love? (Col 3:12) Out of love for my Shepherd, am I working to increase the wealth of his flock?

In short, I know I am a sheep who has been rescued. I know I am a sheep who has been redeemed, but am I a sheep that has been radically changed? Is it obvious that I have been domesticated by the Great Shepherd?

Well, that's all for today. Thanks for reading my ba-a-a-a-a-a-blings. (I promise. I am finished now.)

By the way, He probably also chose sheep because, well, they are dumb.





e




0 comments:

Post a Comment